Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

Today is a day of reflection. A time of the year, where we realize the many individuals we appreciate having in our lives and we decide how we can make a difference for others. Every year I travel to Jupiter and spend Thanksgiving day with my family. This year I had to be in Orlando yesterday and will have to be back tomorrow. Typically, I do not mind traveling the 2 1/2 hour drive, but this year is different.

I am so lucky to have friends and family to visit every holiday...many people do not have that luxury. I decided this Thanksgiving I was going to visit the Salvation Army in Daytona Beach. I was told that there were more volunteers than needed, but that did not steer me away. I knew that what I wanted to do, there are never TOO MANY volunteers. I wanted to sit down with those who were alone on this holiday and treat them like family. So for me a place with too many volunteers was perfect.

Although awkward at first, it became very natural to engage in conversation. The individuals I spoke with had a lot to say just nobody to say it to you. One woman I met started out our conversation saying she needed a hug. My heart melted. I gave her a hug and we continued on until she finished her meal and left. It was like that all morning. I am not sure if I made a difference in their life, but I hope I made their holiday a little brighter, a little more like home.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Megan Clementi
Miss Florida USA 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment