Tuesday, November 10, 2009

God Bless America!


Happy 234th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps
I had the pleasure of thanking some of Central Florida's veterans today at the Orlando Vet Center Kickoff to Veteran's Day! The event served several purposes; 1) an open house as they have moved to a larger location 2) Birthday Party to celebrate the 234th birthday of United States Marine Corps {as you can see by the beautiful cake above} and 3) Start Veteran's Day off the right way with good food and good people!
my contact:Rafiq

I had the opportunity to personally thank many soldiers who had served in the Marines and Army during the Korean War, Vietnam, War of Afghanistan, and the Iraq War. One veteran I met looked a few years younger than myself and just received a letter in the mail to serve for the third time in Afghanistan. Although he hopes to finish out his semester at Valencia Community College, he understands that his job to serve our country comes first. I could see the sincerity in his eyes as he spoke! I was blown away.

Cake Cutting Picture.YES, I actually held that gigantic sword and cut the cake...lol. It worked really well :) The ceremony involved the oldest Marine present taking a bite of the first slice of cake and then passing that piece of cake on to the youngest Marine present. It signified the passing of the torch. I had no clue that this would be happening while I was there, so it was neat surprise!

Before I knew it, I was speaking to 3 people and the place was empty! The Vet Center was about to start their Brotherhood meeting so it was time to leave. I left feeling better than I have felt in a while. To hear their stories of bravery, watch the USMC cake cutting ceremony and to see the smiles on their faces, I felt a new found patriotism in my heart.

For the men and women who are leaving to fight for our country-
God Bless, the country looks forward to your return!

For the men and women who have fought for our country-
Thank you for sacrificing your life to protect ours. I appreciate each and everyone of you!

Love Always,
Megan Clementi
Miss Florida USA 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment