Monday, October 12, 2009

Play Golf, Fight Cancer

Hello :)

One of the many perks of being Miss Florida USA is having former titleholders introduce you to some of their contacts which can lead to more appearances, job opportunities, friendships etc. For a while now, I have been planning to attend the 6th Annual Golf Classic, Play Golf Fight Cancer. This tournament supports one of the main objectives of the University of Florida Proton Therapy Institute - research. This research will allow UFPTI to improve the outcomes of all cancer patients and to add more cancers to the treatment list. http://floridaproton.dojiggy.com/index.cfm?PageID=12135
Melissa Witek, Miss Florida USA 2005, and Allison Kreiger, Miss Florida 2006, both attended this event as UF Alumni and as the reigning Miss Florida or Miss Florida USA. Although I did not attend UF (I am a UCF grad), I found that I had something else in common with everyone there. The majority of companies in attendance were representing engineering firms. For me it was a double whammy! I was able to support a great cause while learning about potential job opportunities!

I started off the day at registration. You could already tell that it was going to be a scorcher outside. My contact Larry even joked that we should postpone the event until next week when it cools down :) Anyway, at one point I was talking with a three-some and out of no where one of the guys says, "Hey, YOU are Miss Florida USA'. Now being that I was wearing my sash, I thought that was pretty clear. I told him I was and he began to ask me where and when Miss USA was. It is as though I could see his light bulb turn on and he says, "I am supposed to go to Vegas to see you!" Turns out that my Dad has been telling everyone that they have to come to Vegas to support his daughter and those people have been telling their people.

Thank you Dad and Raj for rounding up an engineering section to be at Miss USA to support me :)

I left after registration and came back for the dinner, silent/live auction and awards presentations. I had the honor of sitting with Dr. Nancy Mendenhall (Medical Director of UFPTI) and Chris Doering (Gator Great and NFL veteran). Both were accomplished in their respective fields and it was wonderful being able to speak with them. Once the live auction started, the money started to fly!It was really neat to listen to the live auction and watch as an item start at the bid amount and climb to $3350! There was a lot of money raised today for a great cause and I am so thankful that I could be a part of it! In the end, $72,000 was raised!


Congratualtions to all the award winners and Congratualtions to Larry for a fantastic day of golf!

Love Always,
Megan Clementi
Miss Florida USA

No comments:

Post a Comment